Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Twinleaf

Twinleaf (Jeffersonia diphylla), color pencil, 8"h x 6"w



The Blandy Sketch Group is planning their 2020 Spring Show, and the theme is "Small Works." The size of the pieces allowed is a maximum of 6" x 8."  I usually don't do art works this small, so I've been trying to produce some pieces I can submit for this show.

I chose this native spring ephemeral plant, Twinleaf (Jeffersonia diphylla) because it's small enough that I could depict it life-size and still meet the size requirements.  The plant emerges in early spring and its elegant white flowers resemble those of another early spring bloomer, Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis). The leaves are distinctive, and both the common name Twinleaf and the Latin word diphylla describe their appearance: two leaflets that unfold from the stem.

I worked from a set of photos taken during my spring hikes in our local forests. Using a white pencil to draw the intricate veins of the leaves first--this acts as a resist that prevents the darker green color from covering the white--made it easier to maintain the vein structure. The complex colors of the leaves were achieved by layering a variety of green shades with the red-purple of the stems and edges of the leaves.

I'm now looking for another suitable small flower or plant for a companion piece--there are so many lovely natives to choose from! The question is, what do I have in the way of photos to work from?

1 comment:

Herb Borkland said...

This reproduced very nicely! ;-)