Sunday, July 31, 2011

Greenbridge Boat Ramp

Greenbridge Boat Ramp, oils on panel, 9" x 12"
Today the Howard Plein Air group met at another location new to me--the Greenbridge Road boat ramp by Tridelphia Reservoir. I was running a bit late and by the time I got there, the other painters were all set up and working. They had chosen the north-facing side of this shallow cove where one could stay cool in the shade--the weather reports were calling for the thermometer to hit a hundred by afternoon.

The greenish-blue tint of the water looked so inviting set against the white-hot light reflecting off the reservoir, it was tempting to jump right in and forget about painting. But the local authorities frown upon that, since this is our drinking water.

I set my easel on the slope above the cove and included the figure of one of the other painters on the shore along with the boats. I was surprised by how easily the trees went in, they practically painted themselves. The water and reflections were harder, gauging the right values and colors. A cooling breeze coming from the trees helped to ameliorate the mounting heat as noon approached.

As I was finishing I happened to glance at the water and there, easily visible in the clear water of the cove, was something very large swimming close to the surface. A golden brown color similar to the tree trunks, and wide--it must have been a catfish--but of such a size, it was downright spooky! The thing actually left a wake. Maybe swimming here is not such a good idea after all.

No comments: