Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ellicott City Paint It 2011

Storm in Ellicott City, oils on canvas panel, 12" x 16."
The Ellicott City Paint It took place last weekend. I was one of the juried artists, and this year we were to submit two of our best pieces for the competition. The show will be on display at the Howard County Center for the Arts until August 25.

The competition was terrific--it was challenging and stimulating to compete against so many accomplished artists. After seeing all the work produced over the weekend, my impression was that the quality of the artists and work was even stronger than last year. The top prize went to a young lady from Rockville who is really hot--she also took the first place at Easels in Frederick recently--Hiu Lai Chong. I had met her last year and was impressed with her skill, but this year, watching her work on her award-winning piece was a real eye-opener!

It was great fun to run into a number of artists I'd met at other plein air events these past few years, and seeing how their work has evolved was also very inspiring. It's an honor to be among these artists.

Hi Ho Silver, oils on canvas panel, 12" x 9."
My own work was not very strong this year--I painted four pieces and these two here were the best of the bunch, but definitely lacking in the drama I had hoped to capture. They show what a long ways I have to go before I can aspire to enter the winners' circle. That's wonderful part of these events, how it makes us all strive to do better, to catch the excitement of the light, the subject, everything about painting en plein air.

No comments: