Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Plein Air

Last weekend's plein air workshop in Cambridge, Md was wonderful in every respect. It's so rare to have a marvelous instructor like Sara Poly, a congenial group of painters and perfect weather all at the same time! Covey Point Farm is a lovely place on the water, with fabulous views all around, the converted barn comfy.

Painting in the sun (or shade) for five to six hours a day is hard work, though others in the group said this was a relaxed pace as far as painting workshops go. Sara had us do exercises such as 50-stroke paintings, that were beneficial. Making every stroke count was hard, but great discipline. My art leaped light years ahead in just a couple of days, and I feel much closer now to being able to paint oils the way I want to: looser, and full of luminous natural color.

This is my last painting at the workshop, not quite finished, but my best by far. I'm hooked on painting plein air; it's one of the most challenging yet satisfying things an artist can engage. How I wish I could spend more time painting and taking workshops. I'll have to work on that some more.

No comments: