Thursday, July 30, 2026

Closing for July

Vitex agnus castus
 
Vitex with No Id hydrangea

It wouldn't seem like July without the cool lilac blooms of my Vitex shrub in the east garden. It blooms faithfully every year despite drought or other setbacks. So does the Bottlebrush Buckeye (Aesculus parviflora) in the back yard--this year it seems to be blooming later than usual, perhaps because of the drought, but the plentiful rain from the storm two days ago really stimulated the blooms.

 

Bottlebrush Buckeye

The tree is a-buzz with insects in the morning, sipping the nectar and collecting pollen from its fragrant flowers. I didn't get photos of the many types of bees, but managed to snap this butterfly, and a Clearwing Hummingbird moth nectaring on it.

 

Silver-spotted Skipper Butterfly on Bottlebrush Buckeye

 Clearwing Hummingbird moth on the Bottlebrush Buckeye

  

I returned from a trip to Peru to find my garden plants stressed, and some dead. My husband was in charge of watering but alas, Herb doesn't have quite the feel for plants, and didn't water often enough. Most of my 'Pretty Grand' petunias in the hanging baskets on the porch were dead by the time I got home. I went out to water before I'd even said hello or thought to unpack, my poor plants looked so in need! I managed to save a few, but some were too far gone.  At least the vegetables were in good shape, except the artichokes, which are refusing to grow, despite liberal watering.

The Blue Nile Lilies (Agapanthus) in Herb's bed are looking lovely, though puny in size compared to the potted ones I saw in Cusco in a Museum's garden-- a wonderful garden! I plan to do some Peru postings later on, but for now, I need to catch up with myself and my own garden.

 

Agapanthus

Agapanthus in Herb's bed

Agastaches 'Blue Boa' and 'Pink Pearl'

The Agastaches in Herb's bed are making a nice display. Most of the Liatris (ligulistylis and 'Kobold' have finished blooming but a couple of stems, eaten back by the deer, re-sprouted, and the Monarchs can't leave the flowers alone. I've had two Monarchs hovering over them for days, but haven't managed to get any shots of them.

 

Liatris ligulistylis with Yucca 'Color Guard', gladiolus and Anise Hyssop

 

The bush Clematis'True Love'  is also blooming, along with the Black-eyed Susans and Chinese iris.

 

Clematis 'True Love'

Chinese iris with Black-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia) and Clematis

 

The patch of Anise Hyssop is looking good! I hate to deprive the bees of its nutritious pollen but I'll be gathering some flowers and leaves for tea for this gardener--their scent is delicious!

 

Anise Hyssop

 

 The one lone Daylily the deer left me is beautiful! Wish I could remember the name of the variety.

 


 

A hanging basket full of Petunias and Nasturtiums survived my absence with flying colors.



Petunia 'Supercal Red Maple'

 

That's the state of my garden at the end of July. Another round of flowers will be coming along in August. I'm hoping the rains will become more plentiful too. A few tomatoes, Asian eggplants and Blue Lake green beans from the garden would be welcome, and of course, more hummingbirds!

No comments: