Sunday, December 31, 2023

Last Day of 2023

Mystery Orchid blooms again.
New orchid display in the master bath.
 

 

It has been several years since this "roadside" orchid bloomed--in fact, it has been in decline for a long time. But a few weeks back I noticed a blooming spike emerging from a new shoot, and the flowers started to open just a few days after Christmas--what a treat for the end of a difficult year! 

As soon as the flowers opened, I moved it to the master bath for a change in the display. I hope this will be the beginning of a good period of growth and bloom for this strange little orchid I bought at a roadside stand during a trip to Florida many years ago.

 

New mosaic, Carolina wren with nest


I finished a new mosaic just before Christmas--a Carolina wren with her nest. I need to complete one more mosaic before grouting both, and am trying to decide which bird to tackle next--a pair of bluebirds maybe? I'm running out of certain colors, but there's still plenty of blue tiles left, so that's a possibility.


Tree Peony (Paeonia suffruticosa)

 But I also must paint some new botanical pieces for upcoming spring shows. Here's a photo of the watercolor I'm currently working on--a lovely tree peony I came across at Blandy Farm, photographed last spring. It's still a ways from being finished. I need to finish this one and do one more painting, of what, I've yet to decide.

 

Red impatiens with Meyer lemon.
Houseplants in foyer.

Here's a few more houseplants brightening the foyer--a red New Guinea Impatiens, assorted begonias, a pepper vine and a night-blooming Cereus that has yet to bloom. Maybe it'll bloom later this spring, after it's been outdoors for a while? One can always dream, and this is a good season to dream of next year's garden. Happy New Year!


No comments: