Tuesday, September 14, 2021

New Painting Explorations

Pink-striped Oakworm Moths, watercolor on paper, 11"h x 7.5"w.

 

This is the result of another of my experiments with the Stonehenge black paper. I used Daniel Smith Interference watercolors for the moths with washes of other watercolor paints over them. For the leaf, I used a layer of Titanium White watercolor paint, let it set overnight, and then applied watercolor paints on top. I really like the effect of the watercolors over the Titanium White paint, but I'm having doubts about the Interference colors--these are very hard to paint over and modify afterwards.

I also wish I'd used a slightly larger piece of paper--the composition could have used a bit more of the oak leaf form at the bottom and the right side. The next time I'll try the Titanium white under everything, paint over that, and them apply the Interference colors last. Hopefully, this will allow me to model the forms better overall. There's so many new materials that I want to try!

1 comment:

Herb Borkland said...

Thank you, teacher. I wish folks could see it in person, as I get to do.