Thursday, April 2, 2020

Can Spring Really Hang You Up the Most?

Magnolia 'Butterflies'


Spring has arrived early this year, and with the current circumstances of "social distancing" we are undergoing, that lovely jazz standard "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most" was on my mind. The song is about unfulfilled or unsuccessful love... but in the current upsetting phase of social upheaval, being hung up seems to be the least of it.

I find comfort and solace in my garden, where I can leave worries behind and take joy in my plants and flowers. The yellow magnolia 'Butterflies' continues to grow slowly to become more beautiful every year--and the lemony scent of the flowers is heavenly!

Glory-or-the-Snow (Chionodoxa luciliae)

Daffodils in front yard

The assortment of spring bulbs, Tazetta, and Thalia narcissus in front have grown denser over the years--more divisions will be needed in the fall. The Mount Hood and Prince Alfred daffodils in back are also putting on a show.


The grape hyacinths under the Zelkova tree are spreading, it's wonderful to see the light blue and white varieties I planted a few years back starting to multiply, despite the deer munching on the leaves. The Spanish bluebells (Hyacinthoides) with the larger leaves will bloom later on.

Grape Hyacinths (Muscari armeniacum)

Flowering quince

The double flowering quince is doing better than ever--I just removed the wire mesh barrier I'd put around it during the winter to protect it from the deer. The deer took their revenge by making mincemeat of the emerging buds of my Autumn Joy sedums, after chomping the leaves of the one Rhododendron I'd left unprotected. I don't mind them munching on the leafy growth of the daylilies since those usually recover, but they damage other plants so much, I must redouble my efforts next winter.
Clematis 'Apple Blossom'

My neighbor's Weeping apricot tree

 My new shrub clematis has vigorous shoots, and the "Apple Blossom' clematis is covered with charming pendulous buds. But the star of the day is my neighbor's lovely weeping apricot tree. It's so wonderful to see tender new shoots coming up everywhere--a sight to cheer the heaviest heart!

1 comment:

Herb Borkland said...

Uniquely good post. You strike just the right note, I think. Citing the song is first-rate journalism -- a perfect hook. And, as always, you bring your garden to vivid life.

Like Spring, our current troubles, too, will pass. ;-)