Monday, July 15, 2019

Yellow Iris Painting

Yellow Iris (Iris hybrid), watercolor, 20"h x 12"w. SOLD

After an exciting trip to the Bruce and the wealth of new botanical material I encountered there, it seems anticlimactic to go back to my ordinary life, but not everything can be a highlight, either in life or in painting. This painting of a yellow bearded iris was finished from my photos, since the irises were done blooming a couple of months ago. I never seem to have enough time to work the entire painting from life, but I'm enjoying my other art activities: teaching botanical drawing and painting classes at Art in the Valley Gallery here in Front Royal, the monthly meetings of the Blandy Sketch Group and the plein air outings with the Outdoor Painters of the Shenandoah, a group associated with Blandy.

One of the things I love about this particular iris is the intricate veining at the base of the falls, the other is that it sometimes re-blooms in the fall. Last year unfortunately, the fall blossoms were cut down by frost before they had a chance to open. I'm submitting this painting for the fall Art at the Mill show.
 

1 comment:

Herb said...

Maybe use a semicolon after "falls" the next time... One of the things I love about this particular iris is the intricate veining at the base of the falls, the other is that it sometimes re-blooms in the fall.

Otherwise, wonderful! Your field trip memoirs followed by a return-to-normal epilogue. Structurally perfect! ;-)