Thursday, February 14, 2019

Pages from My Journal

Crocus developing buds, Feb. 3

This winter I've been forcing some crocus bulbs, and decided to record their development in my new art journal. On Feb. 3 I started sketching the elongating buds with colored pencils.


Crocus flower bud.


Two days later, I drew the same bulb (again in colored pencil) as the flower bud began to show.

Crocus flower bud opens.


A few days later, I again drew the same bulb, this time combining colored pencils with watercolor pencils, blending with water.


Crocus flower is open, new bud emerges.

A couple of days later, I again recorded the progress of the crocus bulb when the flower was open and a second bud was emerging, using the same colored pencils/watercolor pencils combination. I will continue to record the development of this crocus bulb and see where it leads...perhaps a small painting documenting the entire cycle of growth?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea! Publicizing the journal is a fine way to alert other artists to the fun keeping one can be. My endless lined-pad notes are how I work off the same energy. ;-)