Sunday, January 29, 2012

Graphite Drawings


These are practice sketches for my botanical class: the African violet is my first sketch for the certificate project for this class. We are to do several value studies of the plant until we find the one that seems most suitable for a finished illustration. We will then use the same plant for a watercolor painting. My violet has two small flower buds now--it would be nice to have a few more blossoms to paint before the project is complete.


 Above is another study of  the same orchid I did last week with the budding stem. This week one blossom has opened and it is a very unusual one. Here's a photo of it. I'll probably do a watercolor of it just for my own practice, as well as documenting the plant. I'm trying to figure out what sort of hybrid my Florida roadside purchase is. It resembles some Miltassia hybrids I've seen on-line in photos (hybrids of Miltonia and Brassia genus), but it could be a three-way hybrid with something else. I'm not an orchid expert. The flower has a light scent, not quite a sweet perfume, but something more astringent like night-blooming Jasmine.


No comments: