Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Azaleas at Brighton Dam

Azaleas on a Hill, oils on canvas panel, 9" x 12."
Azaleas at Brighton Dam, 11" x 14."

The Howard County Plein Air group kicked off  its painting year with an outing to near-by Brighton Dam last Friday. The day was sunny if a bit brisk and windy, and azaleas in a multitude of lovely shades covered the hillsides sloping down to the water.

I painted there last year, and everywhere one looks is so gorgeous, it's hard to decide what view to paint. The morning sun shone through the oak trees lining the eastern shore, setting off the tender green of the young leaves. I chose to compose my painting looking through the tall azaleas near me out towards the water (the lower painting) and started with the colors of the flowers, working my way around the painting back toward the distance. Unfortunately, I lost the effect of the light in the painting, and the colors got a bit muddy--not a very satisfactory result. I'll probably repaint this one and see if I can improve upon it.

I went back there the next day to try another painting, this time in the afternoon. In the upper painting I chose a view with masses of azalea bushes stepping down the hill to a path. The effect of the afternoon light slanting through the trees works much better in this painting, giving a true sense of the colors of this beautiful site.

I'd hoped to get back there again a third time before the weekend was gone, but the weather turned and a light drizzle started this morning. I hope to get back there one more time this season before the azaleas finish blooming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous! especially love the second one, color-wise, and the sense of branches waving in the spring wind.
brava!