Friday, April 22, 2011

Spring Flowers at Daniels Area

Spring on the Patapsco at Daniels, watercolor, 10" x 14."

Taking advantage of yet another sunny spring day, I went out to Patapsco State Park again. This time I chose the near-by Daniels area, noted for its north-facing hillsides with steep rock ledges where unusual flowers grow. I hadn't had a chance to explore this area in spring, and there are a few miles of hiking, so it was best to travel light. I tucked a small watercolor kit and camera in my backpack.


I was not disappointed--the ledges were covered with the fine blue-green foliage of Dutchman's Breeches, though only a few flowers were blooming. Tiny flowers of Early Saxifrage and Slender Toothwort had found purchase on the rocks. There was a brisk breeze blowing from the west, and I was glad I had a warm jacket.

Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria)
Early Saxifrage
Slender Toothwort
The most exciting find was a clump of Wild Columbines high up on a ledge of the tallest promontory. The flowers were a lovely bright pink with touches of yellow. I wanted to find a way to get closer to photograph them, but that could wait until after painting. I would take the photos on my way back.

In the meantime, I continued my hike upstream looking for a likely spot to set up and paint, eventually settling on a bend of the river where the silvery trunks of sycamore maples contrasted with the tender green foliage of the opposite bank. I ate my lunch and started painting. As the afternoon wore on the breeze died down and it got a little warmer, but my fingers were numb from the chill by the time I finished.

On the walk back I found a way to climb to the top of the steep rock formation from a more reasonable slope at the rear, but it was impossible to see the Columbines from above. No way would I risk a fall from such a height. I had to content myself with climbing a few feet up the sheer rock face and use the zoom to get as close as possible for this shot.

Wild Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis)

1 comment:

tanveer said...

Flowers are looking amazing.Can you tell me the name of these flowers.Gifts to Pakistan