Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Glass Challenge

Still Life with Bottle, oils on canvas panel, 11" x 14."

I love a challenge, and glass is probably one of the most challenging materials to paint, so I asked our teacher, Lee Boynton, if he could set up a still life with a glass bottle in it. I had not expected such a dark backdrop for our challenge, but that is part of the fun in Lee's class.

Though the bottle reads as glass (it was filled with olive oil), I fear my composition is a bit pedestrian. In retrospect, I could have made it more exciting with different cropping or perhaps a vertical format. Of course, having a good angle also helps, and because I got there a bit late, the better positions in the class were already taken. Sometimes an unexpected perspective is what makes the composition more exciting.

I'm finding that I prefer an angle that presents more shadow than light to play with--it gives more drama to a composition. I didn't nail the colors either. The bowl was actually more of a coral color than this burnt orange, and the apples could have been better modeled. I'll have to try harder next week.

No comments: