Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Goodby to Weeki Wachee

Golden Afternoon on the Weeki Wachee, watercolor, 14" x 11"

 I painted this watercolor through two different afternoons, finishing on our last day on the Weeki Wachee River. It was time to start packing for the long trip back home, my palette was clean and oils were packed away. The chill of the morning had warmed to a lovely afternoon, so I lingered on the sun-washed deck as the afternoon shadows lengthened, wishing I could stay forever... I like to think my sketch evokes something of Winslow Homer's watercolors of Homosassa. The golden light of sub-tropical Florida enchants us artists throughout time. Good-bye, Weeki Wachee. I hope we will return soon. 
* * *
6/26/09 - This painting has been selected to be in the WCA-DC Southeast Regional Show to be exhibited at the Edison Place Gallery in Washington, DC during September of this year. It's going to be a great show, don't miss it!

No comments: